Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sweet moments

Spring drifted into summer and at last the house was built and mom and daddy were set to move in. There was much to be done as they not only had to pack up their apartment but also would be moving everything they had in storage. Mom had notebook after notebook with notes for how each room was to be laid out so that there was a home for each and every treasure that she had collected. In spite of her debilitating disease, she always held onto surrounding herself with beauty in any way she could. She had quite the gift for arranging much into a small space and making it feel as though each piece belonged exactly where it was. It was a long, arduous process for her but gave her comfort and a sense of accomplishment.
I remember spending many days at the house in the first several weeks, helping her unpack and organize. One day in particular we were working in the kitchen and had finally found the box with all of the pieces that went into the china cabinet. Oh how I wished I had taken the time to write things down from that day. As we unpacked each piece, mama would share with me it's history and how it came to be a part of the coveted collection that sat in the china cabinet. I remember that day fondly. I learned more about our family history, we enjoyed great conversation and we laughed. It was a day that I cherish and will always hold onto with gratitude.

1 comment:

  1. I can totally picture the two of you unpacking that box for the china cabinet. What a wonderful memory...and I know all about wishing you'd taken notes!! Ugh, hindsight.....Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete