Monday, January 5, 2009

Blankets

per-ser-ver-ance ( pur-suh-veer-uhns)
–noun
1. steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.
2. Theology. continuance in a state of grace to the end, leading to eternal salvation.

It's not necessarily a character trait any of us seek out, yet a quintessential side effect of life. We all experience both the peak and valley moments,but truth be told, most of us prefer the peaks. However, it is in the valley that we procure the elemental aspects that shape our most internal sense of character. It is when we are at our lowest that the reflection in the mirror becomes the most clear and when what's truly important can be our greatest ally in attaining the next peak.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." - James 1: 2-4

As a pastor I listened to recently pointed out, joy is not exactly what we are feeling when faced with a trial, yet he reminded me that we can find the joy in retrospect. The joy comes in looking back and seeing that we did indeed somehow make it through whatever valley we were traveling through. It blankets us in the depths of despair and pain, hardship and grief. Sometime it feels like we may never find the next peak, but we always do and oftentimes with a greater sense of gratitude and understanding. It is a a choice to find the wisdom in the difficult experiences in life but a choice well worth making. Because we have empathy, it allows us to serve others in the most intimate manner and in a sense, makes our own trials worthwhile because we were able to lend a compassionate hand to our brother.
In my own moments of perserverance, I find solice in music. There is one song, that for the last several years, has been my mantra when my heart has been heaviest and I felt as though I could not take one step further.
Even When
This week I prayed one time/ My phone it rang I put you on the other line/ And now my thoughts they drift away/ My knees remain unaquainted with the ground/ Unless my faith is put to the test and I am forced to bow/ Although I am in this flesh it doesn't mean You shouldn't have the best from me, from me
Chorus: Even when my eyes are dry/Even when my soul is tired/Even when my hands are heavy/I will life them up to You/It's not about how I feel/Oh Lord, I was made for you/ I exist for you/
I close my eyes but all I see/ Is a background of black, bouncy squiggly lines/ And this weeks mistakes coming back to mind but/ I will lift my voice and make a joyful sound/ Forget about me I only make me down/ Although I cannot see it doesn't mean I shouldn't sing to You, to You
Chorus
You've given me your life and held mine together and yet I find/ Excuses to staunch in my pew/ But when glory divine/ Is sitting in my very presence/ the least that I can do/ Is give my all to You/ give my all to You
Chorus
- Seven Places

1 comment: